So, you want to become a YouTube vlogger, right? It seems like everyone and their mother has a YouTube channel these days. The good news is, with some dedication and consistency, you absolutely can build a successful vlogging channel and turn it into a lucrative business. The key is starting with a plan and sticking to it. This step-by-step guide will walk you through everything you need to know to gain views, build your audience, and ultimately make money as a YouTube vlogger.
From setting up your channel and equipment to promoting your videos and collaborating with brands, we’ve got you covered. Vlogging may seem like an oversaturated market, but with passion, authenticity, and the right strategy, you can rise above the noise and build a dedicated following. Are you ready to become YouTube famous? Then let’s dive in!
Set Up Your YouTube Channel
To become a successful YouTube vlogger, the first thing you need to do is set up your channel. Here are the steps:
- Choose a channel name that is memorable and represents your brand. Something like your name, company or blog name is a good option. Make sure it’s unique and not already taken.
- Create an eye-catching profile photo and channel art that are consistent with your brand image. These help viewers recognize your channel and videos at a glance. Get high quality, custom photos taken or design them yourself if you have experience with photo editing software.
- Write an intriguing channel description to tell viewers what they can expect from your videos. Share a little about yourself, your experience, interests and goals for the channel. Keep it relatively short, around 2 to 3 sentences.
- Choose video topics and a posting schedule that works for your lifestyle. It could be once a week or a few times per month. Stick to a consistent schedule so viewers know when to expect new videos from you. Cover topics you have expertise in or are passionate about. Viewers will be able to tell if you’re not genuinely interested!
- Focus on high quality video and audio. Get the necessary equipment to record and edit your videos. A decent camera, microphone, lighting and video editing software are must-haves. Take time to learn the basics of filming and editing or your videos won’t attract many views.
- Buy subscribers and views from a top social media store like Subscriberz that sells organic views and real subscribers without breaking your pocket.
- Promote your new channel on other social media platforms to increase views and subscribers. Let friends and family know about your channel and ask them to share your videos too. Engage with viewers in the comments to build a connection with them.
Create Engaging Video Content
To build your YouTube audience, you need to create content that keeps viewers engaged and coming back for more. Here are some tips to make videos that will have people hitting subscribe.
- Focus on your niche and passion: Whether it’s gaming, makeup tutorials, or travel vlogs, stick to topics you know and love. Your enthusiasm will shine through and keep viewers interested. Provide value. Teach your viewers something new or share useful tips and life hacks. Offer entertainment or escapism. Some of the most popular YouTubers are comedians, storytellers or share glimpses into their daily lives.
- Keep it real: Share your authentic self. Viewers will connect more with a vlogger who is genuine and relatable. That said, also think about your personal brand and the image you want to portray.
- Upload on a consistent schedule: Aim for at least one new video a week, preferably on the same days and times so viewers know when to expect your latest uploads. Staying consistent keeps your fans engaged and coming back to your channel.
- Vary your content: Mix up your style and formats to keep things interesting. For example, do sit-down chats, vlogs, reactions, collaborations, or challenge and tag videos. Different types of videos will attract new viewers and keep your current subscribers watching more.
- Promote your channel: Share your videos on other social media platforms where you have a following. Engage with viewers in the comments. Run contests and giveaways. Collaborate with other YouTubers. Use video tags, titles, thumbnails, and descriptions that make people want to click.
Build Your Audience Through YouTube SEO
Building an audience on YouTube requires optimizing your content for search. YouTube SEO, or search engine optimization, means making strategic choices so your videos rank higher in YouTube search results and get found by more people.
Choose search-friendly titles and tags
Your video’s title, tags, and description are key for searchability. Include important keywords people would search for in your title. The tags are phrases viewers might search to find your content. Include tags like “how to vlog,” “become a YouTuber,” or “vlogging tips.” Use search tools like TubeBuddy to see what tags are popular.
Upload custom video thumbnails
Your thumbnail is the first thing viewers see when searching YouTube. Create eye-catching thumbnails that highlight your content. Use large text, bright colors, and intriguing imagery. Thumbnails with faces tend to get more clicks. You can make custom thumbnails using free tools like Canva or PicMonkey.
Be active in the YouTube community
Comment on other vloggers’ channels, especially those with similar content. Engage with your viewers by responding to their comments. Collaborate with other YouTubers for cross-promotion. All of these actions boost your visibility in the YouTube community and increase traffic to your channel.
Upload new videos regularly
To keep viewers engaged and improve your search ranking, aim for uploading one to two new videos per week. Turn on notifications so your subscribers know when you post new content. Viewers are more likely to binge-watch multiple videos from channels that post frequently.
Run YouTube ads to promote your channel
Once you’ve built up a catalog of content, consider running YouTube ads to increase views and gain new subscribers. YouTube ads allow you to target specific audiences that would be interested in your content. Even a small ad budget can go a long way on YouTube.
Collaborate With Other YouTubers
Collaborating with other YouTubers is a great way to gain more exposure for your channel. When you appear on someone else’s channel or have them appear on yours, you’re tapping into their audience and building your own. Here are some tips for successful collaborations:
Reach out to YouTubers with similar content
Look for YouTubers in your niche who have a similar number of subscribers. Send them a friendly message expressing your interest in collaborating. Suggest doing a “channel swap”, where you each appear on the other’s channel. This is an easy way to cross-promote to new viewers.
Come up with an engaging collaboration concept
Rather than just a simple “hi, check out my channel!”, create an interesting video concept to collaborate on. For example, you could do a “vlogger challenge”, reacting to each other’s older videos. Or team up for an amusing vlog sketch. Viewers will be more likely to watch if the content is fun and original.
So there you have it, a step-by-step guide to becoming a successful YouTube vlogger. While it may seem daunting, if you start by finding your niche, defining your content strategy, and setting a regular posting schedule, you’ll build momentum. Stay consistent, engage with your viewers, keep improving your skills, and promote your channel, and before you know it, you’ll have a loyal audience and be on your way to vlogging success. The key is just to start – turn on your camera, be authentic, share your knowledge or passion with the world, and have fun with it! If you do that, your vlogging journey will be rewarding and help you achieve your goals of making a living doing what you love.